DEE AND THE RIVER MUMMA AND OTHER TALES

 



WHY DO I WRITE?


I write to share the results of my own creative journey with others who might have similar interests, or at least similar questions to those which I asked or were asked of me then and now: 'Who am I? Who are we? Why are we here?' I was a year out of sixth form and a first job as an aspiring writer/editor, when I began my studies at the University of the West Indies' Mona campus. It was the decade of the seventies, intended to pursue an honors degree in English. However, social sciences and foreign languages ​​offered so many additional possibilities for providing answers to those burning questions of the reasons for life and living, that I graduated with an honors degree in Spanish and English instead, and followed up with a Master's in Literatures in English , and a diploma in Language Arts Education.

DEE AND THE RIVER MUMMA AND OTHER TALES

 One evening when the land is bathed in moonlight, Dee, who lives with her grandparents in Mango Valley, goes out with a group of her friends to play games in the moonlight. 

They have so much fun that the good feelings follow them everywhere for a while, and sustains them, even when things are not going right.

I drew my inspiration for this collection of stories from stories that were told to me by older relatives when I was growing up. from my recollection, the Jamaican tradition of playing games in the moonlight (Moonshine Darling) was still fairly common in the 1960’s.  It can be traced back to European settlers and the Africans with whom they intermingled.

  I hope that they can help to keep these traditions alive, at least in the minds of the children (or adults) who might read them and find them interesting.

 



I hope you like the book.  And when you do read it, I would very much appreciate your leaving a review on Amazon.com, so that other customers know what to expect.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RETURN TO NASEBERRY HILL, THE 7th HILL OF KILDARE

A Trending Schoolbag would Have Been Nice